As some of you may know, one of my passions is motorcycling. I own two Yamaha’s - a 1986 FJ1200, and a 2004 FJR1300. Follow the links below for pictures of these bikes, and for articles of recent tours I have taken. Also, follow the links to other favorite motorcycling links of mine.
While I typically don’t enjoy group rides (I prefer riding alone or with a few friends), I do belong to the Iron Butt Association. You can read about them here to see what they are all about, or click here to see a map showing where a bunch of us live (pretty neat!):
Farkles are modifications, add-on’s, tweaks, enhancements etc. that make a great bike even better. Typically these are functional changes, not just sparkly ones (hence the name “Farkles” = functional sparkles). I will try to chronicle mine here so that other’s may benefit or at least get some ideas of their own.
- Tour of the Canadian Maritimes
From Maine and NY to Labrador and back - we found Viking ruins and the ‘end of the road’. Read about it here.
- Great Lakes Tour
The Great Lakes Tour was truly great. I have to find some photos of this trip, but the article is still worth reading
- Iron Butt 2004 - Maine to Georgia in less than 24 hrs.
This is my attempt to join the Iron Butt Association. The trip was a success (mostly), and I am now a member (IBA#: 21260)! Read about it by clicking on the link above.
- Logging Road 2005
Riding an FJR1300 on a Maine logging road might be some people’s idea of crazy. To me - it is just another unexplored road! Check out this short write up.
- Gaspé 2009
At long last, Tim and I hit the road again to explore the neighborhood to the north. This time we toured around the Gaspé Peninsula in Quebec. We then headed south to Fredericton, NB to catch up with the rest of my family and watch my boys at hockey camp. Great trip, great photos and videos!
- Great Lakes - 2 - 2010
Tim & I return to the Great Lakes, this time to visit the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum. Photos and write up here.
- Gettysburg 2011
Our first Outlaw Geeks Ride with an “Apprentice Geek” - Xavier Michaud. We toured the battlefields and more.
- Canadian Maritimes Part Deux! - 2102
We return to the Maritimes with another “Apprentice Geek” - this time Alex Michaud. The trip didn’t go completely as planned, but we had fun anyway.
- Motorcycle Makeover
After an “unscheduled get-off” last fall that caused some significant cosmetic damage (but thankfully no structural or physical damage) to the FJR1300, some body repair and a re-paint was needed. The results are better than I could have hoped for and I took the opportunity to change the color as well. Have a look!
- Maintenance and Repairs
I try to do as much of the wrenching on my motorcycles as possible to keep the operational costs down and to have a better understanding of how they are built. Most of the stuff is pretty routine - fluid changes, lubrication, etc. Every now and then something odd comes up. In this section I will post some of the unexpected maintenance and repair issues I have dealt with. Perhaps it will help with someone else with similar troubles.
OTHER USEFUL AND INTERESTING LINKS:
- My Motorcycle Pictures
Click here to see pics of my current rides
A great web site dedicated to, in my opinion, the best sport-touring motorcycle on the market.
- Rider Report.com
The online version of my favorite motorcycling magazine - Rider
- FJ1200 Stats
Here is an article, reprinted with permission, regarding the FJ1200
- www.micapeak.com - A site dedicated to motorcycling by H. Marc Lewis.
- www.dealsgap.com - A site dedicated to Deals Gap, NC - home of “The Dragon”. If you have never heard of it, (or even if you have), you need to click here to learn more!
- “The Timeless Ride” - Hubert Kriegel’s UNBELIEVABLE motorcycle adventure, starting with the Arctic Circle in the Winter! An adventure indeed - check out this site!!
- Wild Hare Accessories - a source on this side of the pond for Moko sliders and more.
- Cycle Gadgets - a source for RAM mounts for things link GPS receivers.
- Motorcycle Gear Review - If you are looking to buy new stuff, check here for reviews and opinions.
- Owl’s Head Transportation Museum - A really cool place to visit if you are into vintage vehicles, including planes, cars, motorcycles and more. I entered my 1986 FJ1200 in the 2007 Antique Motorcycle show there. Click here to see pictures from the 2007 show or click here to see photos from the 2008 show.